In 1936 Tokyo University entered for the Grand and attracted a great crowd who they amazed by rowing over 60 strokes in the first minute and not dropping below 45 over the whole course. They won the event but when they tried to repeat their success at Henley the longer course was too much for them and they blew up.
There were of course no regattas from 1940-45 but 1946 saw a revival with double sculls being introduced for the first time. The event was won by a crew from Buenos Aires.
During the 1950's the Regatta thrived reaching a peak entry of 182 in 1956. In the previous year the Regatta built an extension to Marlow Rowing Club to give additional changing accommodation which was desperately needed, but in spite of this the facilities for boating the crews from the Club and from Meakes yard were overstrained and possible alternative sites were sought.
In 1963 all the boats were moved to Bisham where splendid facilities were provided by the Central Council of Physical Recreation. In 1973, however, Bisham Abbey grounds were laid out as a golf course and once again alternative sites were sought. In 1974, thanks to the generosity of the landowners, the boats were moved back to the Bucks bank adjacent to the enclosures.
Coxed senior fours were introduced in 1963 and in 1966 Junior-Senior Eights and Junior-Senior Fours were added. In 1968 the course was lengthened to one mile by moving the start further upstream and in 1976 was slightly shortened to give the metric distance of 1600m.